header
line decor
  
line decor
 
 

National Exension Service

The National Agriculture Extension Service was introduced in Belize in the 1920's, simultaneously with the creation of the Ministry of Agriculture.

In 1953 the training hostel in Central Farm. in the Cayo District opened its doors offering a three (3) month courses for potential extension officers, then call Farm Demonstrators.

The Service has evolved over the years from a basic and informal to more organized and farmal service but the primary objective remains the same. the transfer of technology to farmers.

The National Agriculture Service is one of the primary service provided to farmers by the Ministry of Agriculture.

The National Extension Service's activities now span throughout the country and its officers are the “foot-soldiers” of the Ministry of Agriculture. Their important contributions in the promotion of agricultural development and the increase of food production have further demonstrated the indispensable role of this group of professionals.

Over the past few years, their effective interventions have touched the lives of thousands of Belizeans farmers and consumers of agricultural products. . The National Extension Service is headed by Mr. Ricardo Thompson it is comprised of six district coordinators and 21 extension officers District Agriculture Coordinators are

Corozal District
Mr. Jose Manzanero
422-2297
Orange Walk District
Mr. Belarmino Esquivel
322-2149
Belize District
Mr. Jose Tillett
222-4072/67
Cayo District
Mr. Oscar Salazar
822-2079
Stann Creek District
Mr. Clifford Martinez
522-2514
Toledo District
Mr. Barry Palacio
722-2687

 


 
Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries, Belize